Many people think of fundraising as ‘asking for money.’ We help you connect donors to your mission so that they are invested in your success.
We provide a combination of consulting services to help you learn and grow, as well as direct services to augment your internal capacity.
"Kennari" is Icelandic for "teacher." You'll be successful working with us...not because we do the work for you, but because you will be empowered to do it yourself. We can teach your staff, board members, and volunteers to be proficient ambassadors who engage donors in your mission.
Annual fundraising is fundamental. Raising more money with your annual fund means you can impact more people and impact them more profoundly. Success here involves more than just building a bigger mailing list, or hosting just the right event. You’ll raise more money when you build quality relationships with donors who care about your mission. We partner with you to:
- Assess your current fundraising practices
- Implement efficient tools and processes to do the work
- Create opportunities for new donors to learn about your mission
- Cultivate your existing donors to higher levels of giving
- Teach your board to engage in community outreach
- Build quality relationships that transform donors into passionate advocates for your cause
You’ll be amazed by how much your organization can accomplish when you build closer, better donor relationships. Don’t just take our word for it…explore some examples of the results our clients have achieved in annual fundraising.
CAPITAL AND COMPREHENSIVE CAMPAIGNS
A campaign advances your mission in some specific way, often through a capital project or a comprehensive strategic growth effort. Too many organizations adopt a “If we build it, they will come” approach to campaigns. Your campaign will only succeed if the community understands and embraces the impact of your project.
We can help you:
- Create a case that clearly explains how your project will advance the mission
- Test the donor community’s response to the project through a feasibility study
- Work with you to determine the right next steps
- Recruit and train the people needed to help your campaign get off the ground
- Implement processes for identifying potential donors and making asks
- Maintain enthusiasm for the project until you successfully reach your goal
A successful, well-executed campaign can propel your organization to the next level of sustainability and accomplishment. Explore some of the great campaign successes our clients have achieved.
Endowments can have a significant impact on your organization’s sustainability, because they provide a steady stream of revenue. Endowment income helps you fill operating fund gaps, and can also provide income to cover unplanned expenses.
Twenty-five years ago, endowment was considered to be the hardest part of fundraising. That changed when the “greatest generation” started transferring their wealth in 1998. This transfer is expected to last until 2052. These donors care about preserving institutions and creating a legacy. Thus endowment building is a strategically significant part of today’s fundraising landscape.
There are many ways to build your endowment fund, including campaigns, planned giving, and directed annual fund gifts. We can help you:
- Identify an appropriate amount of endowment for your organization
- Explore the options for financial stewardship of those funds (such as an investment committee, outside investment advisor, or community foundation)
- Evaluate community support for an endowment campaign (see our Campaign Services above for more details)
- Create and promote a planned giving program that allows donors to leave legacy gifts to your endowment fund (see Planned Giving Services below for more information)
An endowment fund can put your organization on a more secure footing for the future, and help smooth out revenue fluctuations. Find out what endowment building has done for some of our clients.
A robust planned giving program can help your organization in two ways. Donors who have made plans for a legacy gift are very invested in your organization, and usually increase their annual giving. They also typically give the largest gift of their lifetimes through their estates. Planned giving is an important component of your overall philanthropic strategy. We can help you:
- Understand the different types of planned gifts and the donor benefits of each one
- Assess your current planned giving program, if you have one, and identify what’s working and what needs to be developed
- Build the infrastructure needed to solicit and accept planned gifts of different types
- Create relationships with the people who can influence giving plans (such as financial and tax advisors)
- Build a pipeline of planned giving donors, and cultivate them
- Incorporate planned giving messages into your ongoing philanthropy
An estimated $41 trillion is moving between generations by 2052. It’s important for you to create and promote opportunities for donors to leave a legacy with your organization. We can show you how to do it.
Grants can be a significant source of revenue for your organization. However, they require a lot of work and specialized expertise, both on the front end as well as after the fact. We can help you:
- Identify potential granting opportunities from state, federal and local funders
- Create a calendar of granting cycles and deadlines, to ensure timely submission
- Cultivate those funding sources as appropriate
- Research and write your grant proposals
- Create grant reports for funders
A thoughtful, concise strategic plan helps your organization build capacity and remain viable. It should guide all of your decision-making at the board and leadership level. However, many nonprofit organizations don’t really know how to approach the planning process. We can help you:
- Engage your board and staff in planning
- Evaluate strategic opportunities and choose those that best fit your mission
- Work through differences of opinion and gain consensus
- Develop a clear roadmap for implementing each strategy, including a timeline and responsibilities
DATABASE EVALUATION, CONVERSION, AND TRAINING
Your donor database is one of the most essential tools in your fundraising toolkit. When you have an accurate database and know how to mine it for information, you can make informed decisions about marketing to donors. We can help you:
- Evaluate your current database software solution and practices
- Convert (if necessary) to a new database system
- Connect your database to online giving
- Learn to enter donor information so that you can leverage it later
- Run reports that help you mange donor relationships more effectively
Our consultants have extensive experience and are certified with Giftworks and Raiser’s Edge. We can help you derive value and knowledge from your donor information, and use it to raise more money.
"Kennari Consulting has been an invaluable guide and support in improving our fundraising. In our years with them, we have increased revenue by nearly 30 percent, and developed the infrastructure to keep increasing as we expand our vital programming. They have always been there when we called. They have improved our board, our donor software usage, and our special events. If you follow their advice and do the work, the reward will be far greater than the cost."
Rev. Andy DeBraber
Executive Director, Heartside Ministry